Sorting through some boxes of documents relating to The Old Endowed School, these rather interesting pieces appeared.
Both are on their way to Gloucestershire Archives.
Today Rodborough’s vicar Peter Francis has been speaking on Radio Gloucestershire about the special stained glass windows in Rodborough Church. We are honoured to give home to the ‘Thomas the Tank Engine’ window. Rev Awdry spent his retirement years in Rodborough from 1965. His wife Margaret was well-loved in the community and ran the infant welfare clinic at The Endowed School. After her death in 1989 Rev. Awdry commissioned the window in tribute to her. He died in 1997 before it was installed.
Equally special is the window in the Lady Chapel. This commemorates 2nd Lieutenant Norman Steel who was killed, aged 20, at Passchendaele in 1917 and all those Rodborough men lost in WW1. The window was installed in 1939 after the outbreak of the Second World War. The dove perhaps a hope for peace. The window by Mr Henry Payne of Amberley was the gift of the executors of the late Mrs Steel.
Huge thanks to Rodborough Scouts who have again tidied the Commonwealth War Graves and those family graves commemorating soldiers who died in the First World War. A map and list appears here
Further to our conversations about ‘Rodborough’ Golf Club, it has been confirmed that Stroud Golf Club was indeed run from The Bear. The club house was the striped building seen in these photos. Interestingly, Rodborough Bowling Club (not to be confused with the Prince Albert Bowling Club) also had its HQ here.
We had some interesting discussions today about the golf course that went around Rodborough Common. It was opened in 1906 and operated until 1930. The only photo we’ve seen of it is copyright of Stroud Museum. It was described to us an the ‘working man’s golf course’ with clubs etc. available from a hut near Winstone’s ice-cream, though digitalstroud.co.uk suggests that it was run by The Bear Inn. The course had 9 holes going around the Private Rd and alongside the Fort and back via Over Butterrow. Some of the greens are still visible today.
Does anyone have any memorabilia?
Thanks to all the lovely people who came to see us at Rodborough Community Hall. We were overwhelmed by the enthusiasm for our local history project. We had those wonderful ‘Antiques Roadshow’ moments when people brought things along, we introduced folks to others with a shared interest, we talked over tea and cakes and at times you were all as quietly absorbed as mice in a reading room!
We are hoping to see lots of you on Sunday 15th October for tea and chat and to help us identify people, dates and places. We have all sorts of lovely new photos that will spark some memories and create a bit of nostalgia – the fashions, the wallpaper, the retirement gifts!
What about this one?
And what was going on here?
Eighteen months ago, Butterrow Book Group approached Rodborough Parish Council in the hope that the iconic red telephone kiosk on Rodborough Lane could be preserved for the benefit of local residents. This quintessentially British treasure was due to be removed by BT, a fate which has befallen thousands of kiosks in recent years – nearly half of the phone boxes in the UK have been removed. This telephone kiosk is an older (1935-1952) K6 model bearing the Tudor crown instead of the more recent St Edward’s crown models which were manufactured after the Queen’s coronation. Butterrow Book Group’s intention was to repaint it and convert it into a community book share. Indeed, 4000 communities UK wide have joined this scheme.
Happily, RPC agreed to adopt it in a very straightforward process which simply involved the payment of £1. Butterrow Book Group has lovingly restored it to its former glory and given it a new lease of life. Many Butterrow households took part in the restoration, making it a hugely successful community project which has drawn many encouraging and supportive comments. Thank you to everyone in the area who has spurred them on by expressing their interest, joining in, donating books and by simply expressing their good wishes and telling them how lovely the kiosk looks!
Once a prime local employers and notable for the production of munitions during WW1, the Daniels’ site has been the subject of a recent planning application. A member of the Daniels’ family believes that the the site has underground tunnels constructed in 1914 for the the storage of shells etc and a huge underground storage area for water. This appears to have been dismissed by the planning survey.
From Gloucestershire Live by Ben Faulkener (5th Sept 2017)
Peter Daniels of the family who the site is named after, wants the committee to hold off making a decision.
“There are caves under the site to support ammunition, underground water facilities require investigation. Local women worked 12 hour shifts and were the main suppliers of shells. Those people in Rodborough helped us win the First World War and that should not be forgotten. Please defer this application – if it is no we have lost this application to investigate the site.”……
Paul Fong, Hunter Page Planning: “A very detailed historic and archaeological assessment has been done to avoid delay. It is clear this is mixed use and I don’t want housing and employment to escape you.”
Does anyone have any information to support this?
Here at remembering Rodborough we are very excited to have received a large shoebox full of negatives from the Dursley Gazette office. We will be working our way through these, so that we can display them at our forthcoming events. We are going to need help in identifying names, places and dates for many of them!
We are very grateful to Rodborough Parish Council for a generous donation that has enabled us to set up this website.
The grant awards evening was an uplifting experience; Rodborough has so many active community groups, among them the Butterrow Book Group, who have adopted the redundant phone box on Rodborough Lane (It has been bought by the Parish Council) and will be converted to a book share kiosk. It dates from somewhere between 1936 and 1952. Does anyone know?
It’s interesting to reflect that photographing what we think of as ordinary may have huge historical value.
Also spotted and both in use, were two phone boxes in Dudbridge
On Sunday 26th March Rodborough’s Community hall was filled with lovely people, lots of buzz and chatter and interesting exchanges of information. Thanks to everyone for their support and to those who have offered to help – ‘Welcome’.
If you missed the event, we will be at The Coffee Pot, Community Cafe, The Old Endowed School, Walkley Hill on Weds May 17th from 10-12 with our vast archive of photos, which you may browse at leisure and enjoy good company and delicious refreshments.
The March edition of Rodborough Tabernacle News includes an article on Hungarian refugees at Rodborough Fort in 1956, noting their gratitude for kindness received.
Do you have any memories of this time?
We are delighted to announce the launch of our book. It has chapters on Eugene Paul Bennett V.C. of Rodborough and a chapter on Rodborough dealing with how the whole community coped during the First World War
This welcome new addition to the library of books dealing with the local history of the Stroud area is meticulously researched, informative and often – perhaps surprisingly – quite amusing. It summarises the investigations of groups and individuals involved in studying the story of the First World War in Stroud, Rodborough, Minchinhampton, Woodchester, Stonehouse, Brimscombe, Chalford, France Lynch and Bussage. In addition, it is enhanced by introductory and concluding chapters from distinguished journalist Peter Evans, born locally and former leader writer for The Times.
Some contributions to the book deal in detail with the history of individual combatants in the First World War, others record more about how the conflict affected local people. Fund-raising events, the work of volunteer groups and the use of women to fill employment gaps caused by the conscription of so many men, are just a few of the subjects covered.
Four chapters concern single topics: Paul Bennett’s VC, Minchinhampton Aerodrome, Woodchester Wayside Cross and the Cole brothers of Brimscombe. Other sections tell of the impact – and unintended consequences – the war had on parishes and individuals. Stories included describe Stroud’s intriguingly named ‘1917 Patriotic Economy Exhibition’, Rodborough’s unique ‘fruit evaporator’, Minchinhampton’s tragic double suicide, the mirror and Bible that saved the life of a Chalford soldier, a Woodchester hen that laid a 6 ounce egg with three yolks and how a Stonehouse soldier survived a torpedo attack.
All this, and a great deal more, makes ‘The Stroud Valleys in the Great War’ a compulsive read for all those interested in how local communities endured and survived the ‘War to end wars’