Redler’s at Dudbridge was built on the site of the 12th century Dudbridge Mill. Driven by the shortage of labour in the First World War, Arnold Redler, a miller, had patented machinery for the handling of flour in 1919. He bought the Dudbridge site from the Apperly family following the closure of the Apperly & Curtis Cloth Mill. Dudbridge became home to Redler Conveyors and Conveyors (Ready Built). Following Arnold’s death in 1958, the two companies integrated and acquired H.J.H. King’s of Nailsworth. Redler’s (under Schenck Process UK) finally closed on the Dudbridge site in 2015. Some of the building are now the Redler’s Waterside housing development.
Redler was one of Stroud’s longest established manufacturing firms and one of the town’s biggest employers.